Thread: Freshwater Beta
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2003, 03:32 AM   #29
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

Yikes drfish, your beta poked your gourami's eye out.

I guess I had two nice beta's in my tank. It looked like they were scared of all the other fish most of the time. ( Probably they were scared of a giant redcap goldfish I had which was constantly opening and closing its big mouth. Especially since I would feed it morsals of food balls about the same size as the beta's) By experience, honey gourami's have been the weakest of all the gourami's I've had. However the blue ones seem to be the ones that live the longest of all the different types I've had. My friend has had Pearl's in his tank for a long time though, and they survived a power outage while all the other fish in the tank did not survive. So from years of experience with gourami's, I'd have to say Blue's and Pearl's are stronger than the kissing gourami's and the honey. Honey being the ones you want in a tank without other gourami species and never alone.

Now, back to beta's. Honey gourami's did get attacked by Blue and Giant Gourami's when I had them in the tank. I did seperate them and bought a new tank for the honey's because i felt sorry for them. I can imagine the beta you placed in your tank fighting with your honey gourami. I'm wondering if you had the honey gourami all by itself, or in a school of three or more. That would make a difference since they always like to travel in groups thus the beta would have been less likely to attack it.

DrFish, hope I made some sense, it's really late over here and I'm passing out. Soo many things happen when it comes to fish tanks that it's very hard to determine a behavior pattern to a group of fish when they each seem to have their own unique personalities sometimes. I starting to think I had two beta's now which were unique, since they seemed to be OK sharing a tank with other fish.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote