View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
Jim Sachs
Developer

John - thanks for going to all that trouble.

I use 3D Vision with a 120-hz Samsung Syncmaster monitor, and the drivers and interfaces are apparently totally different from what you guys are seeing. At 120hz (60 hz per eye), the animation is smooth as silk (including bubbles).

The settings screen within MA3 does not show up because the nVidia system pauses the system when the wrong eye is being displayed. On my system, an easy workaround is to press the button on the transmitter, temporarily turning off 3D when trying to access the Settings screen. If the use of 3D ever becomes widespread enough to warrant trying to fix this, I'll spend some time on it.

One important point I'd like to make is that 3D depth is NOT the same as 3D convergence. Depth is the visual distance between the nearest and farthest objects. Convergence is the distance from the surface of the screen to the nearest object. The proper Convergence setting can make a world of difference to the 3D experience in MA3. On my system, the F5/F6 keys move the plane in and out. With the front edge of the gravel moved right up against the monitor glass, and the Depth set to about halfway, MA3 looks totally realistic in 3D.

BTW, the reason the eel looks especially good is that I already had my 3D setup running when I created it, so it was 3D start-to-finish. Everything else was pure guesswork (though they were educated guesses).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote