View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
ubernoob
Registered

Virtual "No Mans Land" in Multi Monitor Mode

Another guy mentioned this, and no-one understood him - but I thought the same thing.

When you have two monitors set up, the actual screens maybe about an inch to two inches or more apart (due to monitor plastic casings or peoples desk setup) , so when fish breach from one screen to the other they warp across this gap.

I know the technical reasons for it etc. but hey - maybe a virtual no mans land can be built in with a small config tool too.

I don't expect to have a virtual no mans land for the backdrop - you won't notice that as it is inanimate, and many different resolutions would have to be made in order to keep pixel perfection.

Anyway - a virtual no mans land (now reffered to as VNML to describe that gap in between monitors, imagined in a real fishtank sense) would be fairly easy to do, people would configure their VNML to suit their gap - IMAGINE....two monitors that are appart by a few feet! That would look truly as though you have portholes into a massive tank - and not have giveaway tell tale warping fish.

Maybe this setup would involve a graphical representation of two monitors that can slide a horizontal bar from left to right? Possibly with representational fish graphic to show them in VNML area.

I could send some UI plans out to whoever deals with this sort of thing?

Programming wise you just send your 3D models to an extra invisible area that exists in the exact centre of the screen, the bigger th VML configure, the bigger this area is. Again, I must stress that there is no need to think about the background graphic, it is unnoticable.

Anyway....

Thanks for your time. (again)

uber.
ubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote