View Single Post
Old 05-03-2001, 10:12 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Free Webspace and Iconboard ...

20 megabytes would hold this Forum for about 2 months, then we'd have to start deleting messages. And all of those free webspace services are going bankrupt. Look at how useless Mydrive, I-Drive, Driveway, etc. have become. Geocities and the other webhosts are extremely slow and have annoying floater ads.

I am not interested in hosting this Forum somewhere free, because I know at some point they will pull the plug (which has been happening a LOT lately--with no chance to save the messages) or it will end up with just as many advertisements as EZBoard in a desparate attempt to not go bankrupt.

The well is running dry. I have contacted ClearBlueMedia.com, Fastclick.com and a few other advertisers and they just aren't interested the way they were 9 months ago. The banner ad and popup ad companies are having a tough time getting advertising revenue because all the dot.com companies are going dot.bust. As a result websites that have advertising aren't getting paid as much and aren't getting courted to carry ads anymore.

I've been trying since February to get a single advertising banner at the top of my website. I have 27,000 unique hits a month. So far, no takers.

Ah yes, the point of all this. I want to go to *something* that we pay a few hundred for, that will be stable and handle discussion of all 4 screen savers plus the extra users we get when the Aquarium hits big (more than just website sales).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote