View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #1376
cjmaddy
Registered

First of all, thank you for reading my lengthy posts and for your reasoned replies.

Morgan,

I don't see DualView, (as is provided as a nView Display Mode), as being a kludge. To me it is the only way to realistically use two monitors 99.9% of the time. - Are you perhaps referring to the dual view implementation that I have been told only exists in WindowsXP? - (Which I knew nothing about, other than what was said to me in connection with trying to run Aqua Garden spanned across two monitors, in that link I gave.) - With XP it appears that you can change to and from dual view without rebooting, - if I have understood it correctly!

.... What else do you lose besides the menu bar on both screens when you get rid of DualView?
It would honestly be easier and quicker to list what I didn't lose! - Horizontal Span can best be described as a complete disaster most of the time! - Other than Aqua Garden, those fish screensavers that do work are either split down the centre, in common with most dialogue boxes, or stretched x2 horizontally with ridiculous looking distorted fish. Their settings panel recognise only one monitor when in Horizontal Span mode! - The same effect is present in such as Photoshop Elements, - (unless I keep changing the screen resolution, or the nView Display Mode, when I change applications). - Can you imagine trying to use a x2 horizontally stretched Photoshop?

I also prefer not to have Icons and the Taskbar across both screens, and things are also made worse by having a 4x3 CRT coupled with a 5x4 LCD. ..... (Let's not go into why LCDs are 5x4 !!! )

With DualView I can have the optimum resolution for each monitor, and the anamorphic factor on the screensavers allows the correct settings to be made for each monitor. (Which means I have a truly circular clock on each screen in MA2.6 !)

Do you not see the simplicity with which the two monitors in Dream Aquarium, can each have their setting changed from one common menu, by only moving the mouse pointer to the screen you wish to change?

Jim,

Unless I have got something horribly wrong here, I have a feeling that if your 3D background is going to be anything remotely like Aqua Garden when displayed on two monitors, then it will require Horizontal Span set for say 2048x768 in order to work across both screens. On Win2k, that requires a Display Mode change, which in turn requires a system reboot. If the Display Mode is left in Horizontal Span, the above problems will then prevail.

I have never used Windows XP, but if what I was told whilst trying to get Aqua Garden working satisfactorily on two screens is correct, then there may be a fundamental difference between XP and Win2k, in the way that wide displays are controlled and changed to and from, when spread across the two monitors.

The current version of MA2MD works fine on two monitors set for DualView, - The way Dream Aquarium works, is even better!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote