Thread: Not a Bug Bezel Code Suggestion
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
rps
Registered

>>To solve the issue of not knowing which monitor is number 1 and so on

I think Jim meant that there's no [easy] way to identify monitor 1 vs monitor 2 from within the _code_. For instance, we generally assume that monitor 2 is immediately to the right of monitor 1, but that's not necessarily true. I've seen setups where monitor 2 is to the *left* of monitor 1 (and the desktop runs from -1280 to +1280). Also, the two monitors may not be the same size: I used to a have a 19" primary monitor, configured for 1280 x 1024, and next to it a 17" secondary monitor, configured at 1024 x 768. Also, what happens if a user has 3 monitors? or 4? (4 monitors could be all in a line, or they could be in a 2x2 layout.) Your suggestion helps the *user* identify a monitor, but that's not the issue here.

Anyway, hold that thought... right now I'm just trying to provide suggestions for how the drawing code might implement the bezel gap, without any thought as to how the user might specify or adjust such a gap. That's intentional - they're both tricky problems, and I'm trying to simplify the first part of that problem by setting aside the interface considerations. If there's a [relatively] easy way to implement the gap by introducing a few new variables/constants that can be set from the registry, then those of us with dual monitors can modify the registry and test the code, without affecting anyone else.

~Ralph S.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote