View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 PM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Windows Media Player 9/10/11 make me want to tear my hair out. The interface is a nightmare. It completely breaks all the rules of user interface design. I cannot seem to press <- and -> to step through a video. Also, the video usually stutters because there is so much overhead slowing down playback. I use Media Player Classic or VLC to play videos.

Maybe the image viewer in Vista is better. The photo viewer in XP was so slow, tabbing through photos seemed to take 3-4 seconds to load each image. I use ACDSee which is almost instant at flipping through photos. It also has nondestructive image rotation. When I go take photos, I can look at the thumbnails, click on all the images that are sideways, and rotate them without re-saving the file (which would dramatically lower the picture quality). It just flags the file as "rotate 90".

The sidebar in Vista can easily be attained with add-ons like StarDock which came out years ago.

I have not used the DVD burning software built into Vista so I cannot comment.

I am not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious what is new in Vista that is worth buying a faster computer with more RAM, bigger hard drive, and faster processor to run the same applications I run now.

If Vista had the journaling file system that they originally promised (and which has been seen in operating systems as far back as BeOS in 1998), then maybe it would be different. Each file on the computer can have descriptive information attached to it which makes searching a snap. You could label each photo that has a person in it and then search for photos with that person and it would give them all back to you.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote