Thread: Confirmed Bug 3.0 Beta 7 Custom Logo Does Not Work in Preview
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Most people here just start it like any other program by double-clicking the icon.  
As you may recall, I've been using MA since version 1.1. And I have never known that I was "supposed to" start it that way (although it's clear that I could, and sometimes did). And as I recall, the default installation procedure asks if I want to make it my Default Screen Saver. I guess I just assumed that most people use it primarily as a screensaver.

I guess I'm not "most people here". And yeah, I realize that MA is just a simulation - just as the flying toasters were, and the starfield, and....

It's a marine aquarium simulation. It can be used as a screensaver by putting it in the Windows/System32 folder and using the Windows Display Properties dialog to set it as the screensaver (or alternately, right-click the MA3 icon or filename and choose "Install").

Most people here just start it like any other program by double-clicking the icon.

The discussion in this thread has been centering on the fact that when the program is started normally, it will recognize the AltLogo.png file if it's in the same folder, but when started automatically by Windows as a screensaver, it doesn't.  
Please read my initial post.

... but when started automatically by Windows as a screensaver, it doesn't.  
When started automatically by Windows as a screensaver, it does recognize the AltLogo.png file in the \windows\system32\ folder.

Obviously, if "whatever" is going to be fixed, so that the .scr application works like a screensaver even if it isn't ....

And what are the modes other than "Screen Saver Mode"?

It's probably not important, but I'm obviously missing something here.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote