Thread: Windows Vista Issue SS settings drops MA3
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

From that article:

"The same directory can't hold both 32- and 64-bit versions of system DLLs such as KERNEL32 or USER32, right?" WOW64 magically takes care of this for you by the doing selective file system redirection. File activity from a Win32 process that would normally go to the System32 directory instead goes to a directory named SysWow64.

Under the covers, WOW64 silently changes these requests to point at the SysWow64 directory. A Win64 system effectively has two \Windows\System32 directories—one with x64 binaries, the other with the Win32 equivalents.

Smooth as it may seem, this can be confusing. For instance, I was at one point using (unbeknownst to me) a 32-bit command-line prompt. When I ran DIR on Kernel32.dll in the System32 directory, I got the exact same results as when I did the same thing in the SysWow64 directory. It took a lot of head scratching before I figured out that the file system redirection was working just like it should. That is, even though I thought I was working in the \Windows\System32 directory, WOW64 was redirecting the calls to the SysWow64 directory. Incidentally, if you really do want to get at the 32-bit \Windows\System32 directory from an x64 app, the GetSystemWow64Directory API gives you the correct path.
So it is certainly possible to write to \Windows\System32\ and SysWow64 separately if you manage to get around the redirect and that may be what the Aquarium or Installer are doing.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote