View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #1325
johnblommers
The Architect

Check out "Fish"

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
...Jim intends to recreate the entire background as 3D objects made up of lots of polygons. The 3D version will also be twice as wide as the current one. This means the camera will (if you want it to) pan left and right and thus enable you to side the coral from slightly different angles. Folloing the 3D background will hopefully be a few "creature packs" with additions to the aquarium in form of special animals like a cleaner shrimp which then can climb on the coral or a Mandarin goby which can dig around in the gravel  
My sense is that constructing a navigable 3D aquarium will be a fun challenge for Jim S. Given that Jim S. is such a perfectionist, it is going to look at least 2x better than anything he's done before.

There IS a free 3D aquarium out there and it's called Fish and its available for Mac OS X It's not as nice as Jim S's work but it's fun. According to the author:

by Oriol Ferrer Mesià
oriol@oriol.mine.nu

http://oriol.mine.nu

This is my Multimedia Engineering Graduation Project at the Audiovisual
Technologies Department of La Salle School of Engineering, and also my very first contact with Cocoa.

The Shark fish model and animations are taken from the "Atlantis" example included in Xcode. Other models are taken form http://www.toucan.co.jp/ and then made lowpoly.
The Fish icon is taken from xFish, an icon pack made by PixelJerk.

Many thanks to:
my love,
my parents,
my friends,
my cat,
Pixeljerk for the icon,
Marc Monguió for his interesting ideas,
and Apple.
So he's a cat lover too, so he MUST be good people!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FishScreenSnapz002.jpg (172.3 KB, 115 views)
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote