View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #1324
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Todd,
As of right now the fish are made up of 3D polygons (107 of them I believe except for the lionfish) and the background is a 2D (i.e. normal) image, cut up to enable fish to swim behind and in front of parts of it. If you press "W" while the program is running (and have "Exit on mouse movement" not selected) you will see how the background is set up.

The problem with this is that collision detection is difficult and the 3D objects (the fish and starfish) cannot interact or climb on the 2D background.

Jim intends to recreate the entire background as 3D objects made up of lots of polygons. The 3D version will also be twice as wide as the current one. This means the camera will (if you want it to) pan left and right and thus enable you to side the coral from slightly different angles. Folloing the 3D background will hopefully be a few "creature packs" with additions to the aquarium in form of special animals like a cleaner shrimp which then can climb on the coral or a Mandarin goby which can dig around in the gravel.

Hope this helps

/Tiny Breakdown

P.S.
Made a typo in the post above – it's supposed to read "...the old fish in the 3D tank)."
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote