View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004, 08:56 AM   #22
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Re: new UI

Originally posted by stinkyFish
hey there, new user to forums and registered GA customer. this year i spoiled myself with a new G5 dual and 23" monitor, and GA looks fabulous on it.
Welcome!

Jim, from a UI standpoint i think your mockup on 9/1 is more intuitive and a cleaner design than the more recent ones. this is from someone who does interfaces as part of his job....
Eric put you up to that, didn't he?

I absolutely agree with you. My only reluctance is because with the 9/1 set-up there are two places to turn on/off the auto-lighting, bubbles and sound -- in the tables and in the right pane. That seems wrong as it makes the table controls redundant. However, it may be the best we can do.

On the other hand, the MAIN reason I've heard people want to be able to change settings in the table is to make mass sound adjustments (on or off) without having to select a tank, change the setting, selet a tank change a setting. If the sound setting is global rather than particular to each tank, that need is erased and the table may be too much anyway. We could just go to indicators of the controls condition rather than actual controls.

rather than the pop-ups, why not get rid of the drop-down menu entirely and have a little (static) thumbnail that changes when you select a new tank?
The popup for the tank selection was mostly to make the functionality here parallel to the fish tab. However, I don't think that justifies its existence any longer. In any case, the right pane is about to get smaller and allow room for a static tank image.

Do you have any suggestions for the debris column header? Currently we have these...
Attached Images
File Type: gif columnheaders.gif (3.8 KB, 175 views)
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote