Thread: Beta 9e
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #46
Jim Sachs
Developer

Derrek - I think I will remove jpegs from the file filter for now. You can still load them, but they won't automatically show up in the Load requester. My program does not convert JPEGs to PNGs, whether it's active or not. It converts JPEGs directly to video memory. The user would be the one responsible for converting the files in a paint or file converter program. Loading in pics just as they came from the camera is totally unacceptabe, because they are HUGE (and not a square aspect-ratio).

Morgan - Yes, the Direct3D libraries decode JPEGs to video memory. I don't feel that it's a good idea to let them hang around, as they could quickly fill up memory, and cause all kinds of problems.

Dale - All true.

DeBoboMon - Yes, compressing tighter decreases the filesize, which helps some. But JPEGs use an incredibly complex algorithm to rebuild a picture, so there's always going to be a lot of overhead.

Just as a general comment - I consider the Aquarium to be incredibly easy to use compared to a lot of programs meant for the general public. Three hours ago, my wife asked me to put a ringtone on her iPhone. After going through dozens of pages of instructions on as many websites, as well as Apples's own "Help" system, I'm no closer than I was 3 hours ago.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote