View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #981
Jim Sachs
Developer

LeeC22 - Welcome to the Forum. I guess coding does provide some respite from doing graphics, but I don't enjoy it all that much. I see it a a necessary chore, and it's always on my mind exerting great influence on the graphics I design. I'm sort of an idiot-savant when it comes to programming. Being self-taught, I tend to only learn the very specific routines which will bring my graphics to life, and have had to come up with some pretty bizarre tricks. On the other hand, the most common routines that any C programmer should know are often unknown to me.

Andrew - Again, welcome to the Forum. I have also wondered why more companies have not entered this field. While competitors have come and gone over the years (a couple are still around), they never seem to have any effect on MA sales. The price of these products is low enough that it's not an either/or situation, but a matter of increasing public awareness that these things exist. If someone buys a competing program, they often start searching the Internet for something better. From my point of view, the test for any of these programs is "How many seconds would a first-time viewer be fooled into thinking this is a real aquarium?" My goal has always been to achieve the greatest amount of realism possible, and MA3 will be a major step in that direction. The movement of the fish will be refined and expanded, and the background will be a 3D environment, instead of a 2D backdrop.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote