View Single Post
Old 05-22-2001, 02:01 AM   #4
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

v-sync

If vsync is enabled, the video card will wait until the monitor is done 'writing' the image on the screen. If the vsync is disabled, the video card will output images as fast as it can to the monitor.

With vsync on, you might notice that the FPS may be limited because the video card has to wait for the monitor. Games might become a little jerky. I seriously doubt you will see any of that since your video card is not that fast. Your monitor is probably faster than your video card. I never noticed any gain in FPS when I had vsync off with my 3DBlaster Banshee since it was so slow. Though, there was tearing.

With vsync off, you might notice that games have tearing. When playing a game, look at a tree or something that has a vertical edge. The object will be mis-aligned. The top half will be offset from the bottom half.

With my GeForce2 GTS and my old 17" monitor, I can run the aquarium at 1024x768 and get 200 FPS. With Vsync on, I get 85 FPS. It just so happens that my monitor did 85Hz. My video card is waiting for my monitor to finish 'drawing' the image on my screen then, the video card will give the monitor another frame to 'draw'.

If you want your video card to output the frames in the aquarium as fast as it can then, disable the vsync option. You 'might' notice some of the above problems in games but I doubt it.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote