View Single Post
Old 11-17-2001, 09:44 AM   #1
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

XP -- ROCK SOLID!

Some of you might remember that when I first entered this forum, I was running the Aquarium on a Win98se machine and experiencing lock-ups after several minutes. Those lock-ups never really went away -- though I was able to extend it out to "several hours" before a lockup by reducing the number of fish from seven to four.

I just want to say that since I upgraded to WinXP (actually it wasn't an upgrade; I reformatted my Win98se machine and did a clean install of XP Pro), I haven't had a single lockup. Nor has XP crashed -- even once.

This is obviously more of a function of the NT kernel that's behind XP rather than anything that was ever wrong with Jim's screensaver. Although his screensaver was the only one that would lock on me under Win98se, I still think it was Win98se's fault and not the screensaver's.

We all know that Win98se was pretty fragile. I'm happy to report that XP IS ROCK SOLID!!

I found that I can even overclock my system to speeds that would give me blue screens under Win98, but run completely steady under XP. (Of course I'm watching my CPU temp when I do this, but so far no problems.)

YESSS!!
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote