Thread: cpu usage
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2003, 08:56 PM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The answer to that question depends on how your computer is set up. The main enemy that you have is heat. Running your system no matter if it is the cpu or the video card at full bore all the time can cause problems if the heat build up is not taken care of properly. I did read an article recently about video cards and screensavers particularly, the gist of it was that in the tests for some reason the cooling fan wasn't kicking in properly because it was a screensaver, even though it was causing the card to produce 3D all the time, it eventually fried the card because of too much heat. Unfortunatley I don't remember the particulars about which card it was refering too. So this is definately something to watch for. If you have the proper cooling and your temps stay low no matter if it is the card or the cpu then you are fine.

Now that being said, I have been here for years now running Jim's screensaver. For the longest time it ran 24/7 and I have never had any problems. But, I have also installed extra fans within my tower case, whcih should be helping this. Now I am set to run for an hour and then energy saving shuts me off.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote