Thread: Bug: Unconfirmed Upgrading to currently released version
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

I still think the confusion lies in not quite understanding what an MA3 update is. Each new version simply replaces MA3.scr with a newer copy. It does not add, subtract, modify, or even care about any previous version. If it finds a valid Key Code, it will run unrestricted, otherwise it reverts to Demo mode. Put it in any directory you want, or just on the Desktop. Double-click it and it runs. If it finds some values in the Registry location HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SereneScreen/MarineAquarium3, it will use them. If not, it will just use its default settings.

If you are not old-school like me, and use Prolific's installer to copy the program to your computer, then it will attempt to figure out what location your operating system likes to use for screensavers, and put the file there. The uninstaller will also look in that location and delete the file. Key Codes are a special case, and are not deleted. In fact they are placed in two different registry locations, so that if one gets accidentally deleted, the program restores it from the other location. Not sure about the Nova installer - never tried it.

So, anyone can download a new Beta and try it out. When one is available, the link is always prominently displayed in this Forum, as well as my fish-byte.com site, and (if the Beta is very stable) on the SereneScreen.com site.

Since I am the only source of updates, I'd be very surprised if Nova ever mentioned a new Beta being available. Those versions would, of course, have links to my websites, so that I'd get any potential sales, not Nova. If enough new features are added, then Nova would surely replace their CD and download versions with the updated program.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote