View Single Post
Old 06-07-2001, 11:48 AM   #250

A long wishlist

I've been keeping up with Sach's screensaver for a while now, and have just now registered. I've got a couple of comments I'd like to share.

First- I'd like to say that the program is incredible, and no change is necessary to make it better. But if I were writing things...

Keep it real- the bubbles are not needed, and would be great to have an option to disable. I strived to keep my personal tank as 'real' as possible, including any bubbles, pipes, and anything else that detracted from the natural environment, including sounds.

While an octopus would be great to look at, it's not a very real contender in a reef aquarium. Of course, neither are triggers, butterflies, angels, lionfish, sharks, rays, and a number of other fish requested here. I guess that depends on what you consider to be a real aquarium. However, I do like the idea of:

- a burrowing horseshoe crab
- a yellow-head jawfish- incredible to watch
- variety of starfish- have a look at the Bali red starfish I had in my own tank (link below)
- shrimp (coral banded, cleaner, peppermint, etc)
- small crabs (mithrax springs to mind)

I think the creatures and their movements make a reef tank every much as the fish do. Ideally, the coral poylps would move with (ideally) varying currents. Clams that would occasionally slam shut, especially if a shrimp went crawling over them. Fish could have different swimming patterns; ever watched a percula just wave up and down for hours? Tangs could pick at algae on rocks. Sand could be kicked up if a fish quickly darted away from the bottom (maybe an algorithm for currents, that allowed any 3D object (sand, coral, fish) to move accordingly?).

The timid/agressive fish would be incredible.

The ULTIMATE program would be an evolving aquarium that would grow over time, so that corals would compete for space, overtake rocks, die off, algae would be eaten/grow back, etc, etc. I realize that this is incredibly difficult, but would be cool. This way, every screen saver would be a little different.

If I could make recommendations on the corals, the list would go on forever...

Oh yes, people asked for links to their own aquariums- here is (was, before I moved) mine: www.chrishorne.com/hobbies/aquarium/

Kudos to a great product- keep up the good work.

-chris