View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 01:10 PM   #32
feldon34
Forum Administrator

bullfrog said:
I use the widescreen version, will there be a version 2.0 widescreen or will there be a single version that will support both scenarios?
Things seem to be changing around pretty quickly.

Originally, I was supposed to get a dual monitor-aware test version of the Aquarium. Now it looks like MA 2.0 is going to hit first.

As Michael said, eventually when the 3D background is done, then regular, widescreen, and dual monitors will all be 1 version of the Aquarium. Each person will just have a different 'window' on the Aquarium, viewing 50%, 70%, or 100% of the 3D background at any one time with buttons to pan, lock, and control the panning speed of the "camera". (you will NOT be able to move the camera up and down or pivot it)

But in the meantime, it is probably a tough decision whether to have one download with both the widescreen 2D/flat background and the regular 2D/flat background. The regular coral is 353KB. Not sure how big the widescreen coral is, but this would increase the file size by probably 400KB for everyone.

That doesn't sound like much until you think about 300,000 people a month downloading the demo and let's say only .2% of them have a widescreen display. So that's 299,400 downloading 400KB extra, or 114.21 GB per month that they really don't need.

So I'm guessing that Widescreen won't be folded into MA2.0 just yet.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote