View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #31
feldon34
Forum Administrator

IXNay said:

Ehm, just a question Jim, but what were if fans would make fish, and give them to you completely for free, and if they are good enough, is there a chance that they will be included in one of the next versions? Just an idea...
Any questions about other people making fish should be referred to Prolific. And Reichart has informed me that Prolific is not interested in "free" help. They would rather subcontract talented people and get everything on paper so there are minimal/no legal hassles.

Jim Sachs said:
Unless a fish is done by a Prolific employee, the legal ramifications are just too scary.
Light bulb going on...

IXNay said:
Yellow Tang I have seen great things done by fans, look at all this modifications done for Half-Life or Quake some of them are really really good, and if Jim would sort out,... ehm forget it
Bringing these things up to Jim is a dead-end. Sort of like asking the President if you can help him write laws. But if you go thru the proper channels and become a congressman, then there you go. Hopefully you don't have to kiss too much, erm, well, to get elected and involved.

IXNAY said:
have seen great things done by fans, look at all this modifications done for Half-Life or Quake some of them are really really good, and if Jim would sort out,... ehm forget it
Well, it's one thing if people make their own fish and leak them out, but there is too much respect and goodwill towards Jim for anything like to be successful or more than a fringe. Even if someone unofficially came out with a dozen AWESOME fish, how many people here wouldn't touch it because of their respect for Jim?

Also, Half-Life, Quake, etc. 95% of the modifications are maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour's work and then the person gets tired of working on it, uploads it, and says "look at my cool mod d00dz!" Then there's 5% who really work at it and 1% who put out something that's as good as what the original game designers came up with.

Thank God for sites like PlanetQuake, etc. (I haven't kept up-to-date on these) that skim thru the crap and give clear ratings/lists of which mods are the best.

Look at the Russian hacks. They have been putting out those versions for over a year now. They're just NOW starting to get somewhat palatable (that can't be spelled right).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 03-07-2003 at 01:19 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote