View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #89
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Dale - MA3 has no knowledge of MA2.6. It doesn't replace it. Honest.  
OK, Got it. So, from your viewpoint, MA3 installation shouldn't depend on anything about MA2.6, and need not mess up MA2.6.

[Sorry, I thought I recalled some MA3 troubleshooting advice that involved deleting some MA2.6 registry stuff, which implied a relationship]

Therefore, testing the MA3 Installer could be independent of previous environment involving MA2.6 - and only depend on any previous MA3 environment (or previous runs of the MA3 installer).

But, Jim, you are answering the technical question about the simulator -- NOT the question about the installer. The installation program COULD take notice of (and do something to/with) a previous MA2.6 installation. As you have pointed out, you aren't doing the installer. So my questions about the installer are really questions for Prolific.

Why does that make a difference?

You state that MA3 doesn't replace MA2.6 (and you are technically correct, of course).

HOWEVER: The SereneScreen website is now offering a MA V3.0 Upgrade.

The "accepted" definition (and Microsoft's, if it matters) of Upgrade is:

"Definition: An upgrade is a software package that replaces an installed version of a product with a newer version of the same product. The upgrade process typically leaves existing customer data and preferences intact while replacing the existing software with the newer version."

So, by that definition, installation of MA3 should replace MA2.6 (if it's there). And the installation program could be written to do that.

Obviously, Prolific can use any definition that they choose.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote