View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #35
jleslie
Engineer

Okay, I finally got around to doing this and it was really easy...

I used my "HTPC" which is really just an old test system from work that I got after the firm went bust (it was nice to have one of the last processor cards I designed). It consists of a 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and a Nvidia GTX550Ti graphics card running Win7u x64. So not exactly state-of-the-art or anything.

My TV is a Sony 40HX853 which is 3D capable, plus I have the glasses (and they even still had some charge in the set I chose, it's been a while). The graphics card connects to the TV via HDMI and the TV is set to show actual pixels, so there is no overscan or screen resizing.

What I did:
(1) Installed the latest Nvidia Graphics Drivers (331.65)
(2) Installed the Nvidia 3D play activation software from:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/3dtv-...tivate-uk.html
and ran it. I enabled the 14 day trial (it asks you again on every boot).
(3) Changed my desktop to one of the two 3D compatible modes, which are 1280x720 60Hz and 1920x1080 24Hz.
(4) Ran Marine Aquarium.

The TV then automatically detected the 3D input and I got a 3D aquarium display. I then used Ctrl-F3/F4 to increase/decrease the depth of the 3D effect.

Do note I had the Aquarium set to use the desktop resolution. As I didn't want a 1280x720 desktop I changed to 1280x720 32 bit inside MA and that works fine, automatically selecting 3D mode when I start the aquarium (but see a gotcha below).

Issues and problems (the "Cons"):
* You don't get to see the Control Panel in 3D mode - I don't know if it's the driver or the program. It works fine at the same resolution but in 2D.
* As you can't change the refresh rate in the aquarium you need to have a desktop at the correct rate (24/60Hz) beforehand, although the resolution doesn't matter (if you choose the resolution in the Aquarium, the Nvidia software checks for a 3D mode on every resolution change). As I don't want a 24Hz desktop this is annoying and a way to set refresh rate as well as resolution would be handy (or just have the two 3D TV modes explicitly supported).
* It does look better at 1920x1080 24Hz (I had the frame rate limit at 60 and was there or there abouts) but the movement isn't ultra smooth. I don't like how the bubble column looks at all - it needs slowing down for a 24Hz mode. (Update) No, just select "Wait for VSync" and it fixes the bubbles.
* Note you can't limit the frame rate to 24Hz, 30 is the minimum. I left it at 60. (Update) I later played with "Wait for Sync", results added to this text.
* So my feeling is the mode to use is 1280x720 60Hz. The bubble column looks good and everything is reasonably smooth. Also no need to change my desktop refresh rate before running it.
* I also feel the best effect is by setting the "depth" to the maximum. Note the minimum is basically 2D. However...
* As you increase the depth the front of the tank recedes into the TV, so it doesn't look like your TV is the tank but a window onto a tank behind it. The more the depth is set to, the further back it goes. At zero depth (2D) it is at the TV glass. I presume this is just down to how the program sets the depths of stuff. It would be really nice/handy to have one that sets the front of the gravel at zero depth (or whatever Windows calls that).
* To keep running this I'll need to pay Nvidia, which is a small pain as I don't use this PC for anything much, certainly not gaming.
* It isn't sensible to run the 24Hz "3D-compatible" desktop all the time, as being a 3D mode the TV basically doubles the brightness, meaning if you want a 1920x1080 Aquarium you do need to change desktop mode just before running the program.

Okay, so to the positives...
* Very easy to get up and running
* At 1280x720 it works fine (except having to change desktop refresh rate away from 60Hz to get at the menu)
* The Eel in his (her?) cave looks totally amazing, you need to see this!
* (Update) 1920x1080 24p is also good once you enable "Wait for VSync".

Small changes to the Aquarium that would be handy:
* Have some display choices with attached refresh rates
* Fix for the control menu not appearing if it's in the Aquarium rather than the drivers (a depth issue perhaps?)
(Update: No, withdrawn, see above) * Option for half speed bubble column for 24Hz users (or perhaps a general ?20% slow-down)

John

P.S. I also tried Dream Aquarium and that looks nice, it's better at 24Hz than MA I think, perhaps due to the slower movement. Also the bubble column is speed adjustable (although I found the default to be okay). It's a bit of a pain as I don't think you can choose the display mode inside the program (??). The Tank does come much closer to the TV glass.

P.P.S. I ended up choosing a 3D depth of about 60% rather than 100%, on the theory it might be easier on the eyes in the longer term, but that less than that didn't look all that impressive. (Update) Now back to 100% as just looks better, though maybe I'll get a headache.

Last edited by jleslie; 11-08-2013 at 08:04 AM.
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote