View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #1318
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Though the GeForce 6,7,or 8 series would be ideal to run MA3, the 4 series should have enough power to run it. My 5-series 5200 gives an acceptable 42 frames-per-second. Two of the Beta-testers have MX440 cards, which is a pretty high percentage, and makes me feel like I really should try to support that card. The problem has not been lack of power, but that the card doesn't work with MA3 at all. As soon as my new microprocessor gets here, I'll try to diagnose it.  
Late for the party, I know, but I want to chip in anyway.

The GeForce 4 MX cards are a budget series and actually closer related to the GeForce MX 2 series than the more advanced Geforce 4 Ti cards. In fact, a GeForce 3 card is vastly more powerful than a GF4 MX so if MA3 runs ok on the MX it's safe to say that GF3 is supported as well. Since the 4MX cards lack the programmable vertex and pixel shaders of the GF4Ti series it makes full DX8 rendering impossible.

The MX4000 mentioned was a later upgrade (late 2003) and basically a slightly overclocked 4MX440SE (where "SE" means a half-sized memory bus of the regulat 440). Incidently nVidia actually released a 4MX4300 in 2004 which was a 4000 with a PCI-Express bus.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote