View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #27
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Arahanto:
thanks for all the suggestions guys. i'll start with disabling running apps, then the gadgets. redoing the OS itself is more difficult, and which i'm not thrilled about doing. that will be a last resort. also, i did change the settings in ma3: load 1 of each fish, but no waiting for v-sync (i believe that's default). ma3 video setting is automatic. there is one more possibility we haven't considered: hdmi audio. when i try to exit, the audio continues to play.

dale: you can have as many anti-malware apps as you want but only one active monitor at a time, like one antivirus and one antispyware that has an active monitor (like spyware doctor). the superantispyware version i'm using is the free one which does not have real-time scanning. that's threatfire's job. and comodo handles firewall and av.

update: well, i tried disabling all gadgets (didn't work), i tried disabling all startup apps (didn't work), i tried disabling hdmi audio (didn't work). all those resets for nothing maybe one day i'll get fed up enough to try a reinstall, but not today. does anyone else have an hdtv they can set up like me and try and report back?  
1. Disabling can be quite different from uninstalling, which can be quite different from not having installed something in the first place.

2. Did you reboot between each "disable", as JohnWho suggested?

3. Did you uninstall Boinc? You didn't mention that.

4. Yes, I understand about multiple anti-malware applications, and I don't think that's your problem - but it's still deprecated by most experts. It was just a comment, not a suggestion about the problem.

5. I doubt that anybody else (who is interested) has a setup exactly like yours. However, I finally got fed up enough to try an HDMI connection with a laptop that's running Windows 7 64-bit. Can exit to desktop Win7-64. It works fine, exits fine, with all of the "as designed" ways of starting and exiting.

My conclusion: I doubt it's your hardware - I believe there is some conflict in your combination of software and drivers that is unique to your system. Several people here have tried to duplicate your problem without success. I doubt that anybody here is going to install exactly the same combination of software and system monitoring gadgets.

Of course, you could quickly determine if it's your hardware or your additional applications and drivers. Just: (A) Back up your system image. (B) Do a "clean" install of W7-64 and MA3, and see if the problem still exists. (C) or, even easier - just do a second (multiboot) installation of W7-64 and MA3, and try it. (D) or, even easier, just swap out your hard drive, and do a clean install on the "new" one. For that purpose, you wouldn't need a very large drive. If you don't have one, borrow one from a friend?

I believe that some of us are still interested in what's causing your problem. So, when you find out for sure whether the "clean install" works, please let us know. And (if it's other software) when you get it resolved, please let us know.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote