View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #19
Socrates
Sage

They skipped Windows 9 most likely because of the widespread use of "Windows 9x". If you do a search for windows 9 help or software, you are going to get a lot of old windows 9x references. Or if your code looks for a version number and only looks for the Windows 9 part of it, that's a problem.

Also anyone that thinks Windows 8.1 is bad in any way: I can't agree with you. It's more stable and faster than windows 7. It's less likely to break, and easier to fix. If you are sore about the start menu, you can have it back in about 2 minutes with startisback or stardock or a number of other super cheap or free pieces of software.

I use Windows 8.1 all day every day, and I never ever see the metro start page unless I specifically go looking for it.

Now did Microsoft fail miserably at blending a tablet interface with a desktop one? Yes they did. But the side-effect is that by rebuilding windows for underpowered tablets they built a lighter, more stable, and more efficient OS that runs like a charm. If you don't like the metro portion they stapled on to it. You don't have to use it.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote