View Single Post
Old 06-04-2004, 05:56 AM   #14
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Originally posted by FishieLova
I have two tanks. One is 7litre tank and the other is a 4litre tank. Midgey (my fish) is in the small tank because it ripped Harry's (my lil bro's fish) fin and tail in half. Poor harry now has half a tail and half a fin. I put my fishie alone. Harry is with Ticklez (my other lil bro's fish) in the 7litre tank. They seem happy. They're all very cute. As soon as I find my digital camera I'm going to print out photos of them and stick em everywhere!! That's how proud i am!! But I have a question, when fishie go to the top and suck in bubbles, does it mean they need more oxygen in their water?
,Welcome to the forum,
When ever you see fish, except for the betas and gourami, hanging at the surface they are definitely in stress from lack of oxygen in the lower region of the tank. They are sucking in air along with the water to oxygenate the water before it passes over the gills. An immediate partial water change is most likely needed, and then provides extra aeration with an air stone. If it is goldfish, do not use a heater in the tank, goldfish are coldwater fish and warm water does not hold as much oxygen as will cold water. Hope this helps.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote