Thread: Security issue
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The first order of business when the Website button is pushed is to close the program. What happens after that depends on several factors. If MA3 had been in Windowed mode, or had been started by clicking the icon, or it had come up as a screensaver but Password-protect had not been turned on, then a browser window should open. But if MA3 had been started automatically by Windows and Password-protect is on, then the password box should come up before the program exits and starts the browser window.  
In Vista-Personalize-Screen Saver, it's "On resume, display logon screen" of course.

Yes, what you said is what *SHOULD* happen (and apparently what does happen in XP). However, on my Vista system, what *DOES* happen (under exactly the conditions you describe, with that box checked) is that the browser comes up. There's not a good way to check, but it's my belief (based on timings) that MA3 closes and then the browser opens. Only after the browser closes, does the login screen (password box) come up.

As partial confirmation - with MA3 running, when I wiggle the "mouse", it is clear that FIRST MA3 closes (displaying a screen without icons), and THEN the login screen comes up.

As a test, with the browser open by pressing "space bar" and then selecting website, I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del. The login screen came up. Logging in gave the normal desktop with no browser open.

=============
One big exposure with the browser window open, is the "Open File" selection on the file pulldown. That allows access to edit (or delete or add) essentially any file (given Vista protections, etc. etc.)
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote