View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 03:20 PM   #247
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Ad_Enuff:
Errrr...hellooooooo! Your answering again!

Besides, I'm still discussing......I wish people on here would stop butting in  
Questions directed towards Jim may be answered by myself and Jav400 if we are confident that we know the answer. If I were stifling interesting conversation or questions that Jim would like to address and explore, I'd want to be the first to know.

Originally posted by Ad_Enuff:
and allow Jim to continue to speak and outline what he has in mind and the possibilities of VISTA  
I am not aware of any special plans by Jim to customize the Aquarium for any particular OS. SereneScreen Marine Aquarium runs on Windows 98, Me, 2000, and XP all with as little as 128MB of RAM and on graphics cards up to 8 years old.

Taking advantage of the latest technology seems to do well for the gaming/enthusiast industry, but it would be disastrous for Jim. Imagine how narrow his customer base would be if he limited the Aquarium to XP and Vista only, or very high end video cards? The vast majority of his customers are not computer experts nor do they have recent hardware.

I think most of these newcomer aquarium products require a much more powerful computer and more recent video card than Jim's aquarium.

If I may take a moment to comment, Vista is a joke. The system requirements and Digital Rights Management will make it an unbearable OS. You won't be able to copy anything. 1GB of RAM? What in the world are they doing that cannot be done in 128MB? Who can really afford to buy a $2,000 computer to do exactly the same things they're doing right now on their $500 PCs running XP? It's going to look prettier -- that's about it.

And it will block you from doing many things that people take for granted now. Everything is moving from restriction-based to permission-based. Imagine getting some photos developed at a Kodak kiosk at the photomat and your computer won't let you copy the CD without paying Kodak a duplicate fee? This is the kind of restriction lawyers are sitting around and dreaming up for Vista. Microsoft and other developers seem to think that it's their computer, not yours!

Your opinions and feedback are welcome and appreciated here, but you're not asking questions that only Jim has the answer to. Certainly some movement on the Aquarium would be nice -- We're on 3 years since a major update.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote