View Single Post
Old 10-24-2003, 10:27 PM   #135
AtomicCow
Registered

Goldfish Aquarium

I am a proud owner of the Marine aquarium since before 1.0. Unfortunately I don't think the golfish aquarium is ready for primetime even though it is being sold.

Either through craft of illusion by keeping the fish small Marine Aquarium creates a completely convincing environment the goldfish aquarium does not achieve.

Probably the most obvious deficiency is the goldfish like to face the screen and show off one of their most obvious shortcomings. The primitive, hinged no lip mouth. The interior reflecting too much light furthur destroys the illusion. Second there is a stiff feel to the fins as if there is a supporting fixed parent spine. Whatever is causing it, it just has a sense of falseness about it.
I am also more aware of the wrapped texture than ever before and the lack of modeling to keep the poly count down is obvious.

A goldfish is a considerably more difficult animal to model. And the larger size demands more real structure that can't be compensated for with phototexture and bump maps. It needs real geometry. Furthur the plant movement is a displacement trick and feels as such.

The caustics and bubbles are of course still exceptional. The modeling on the plants is also lovely. Without the marine aquarium to compare to, Goldfish Aquarium would have been an impressive screensaver. It is impressive compared to the majority of the junk that is out there. Its a great job but it feels more like a well developed start than meeting the amazing realistic standards & minimal magician's 'tells' that are the trademark of the marine aquarium. I am not jealous at all of the movements and behaviors. The lionfish is more convincing though it probably has some of the same issues with the mouth. The flaws are not telegraphed so obviously. My mind doesn't really question the reality of the marine fish. The goldfish read as fake right away. Oreo works a little better because of the black mouth.
AtomicCow is offline   Reply With Quote