View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #58
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by feldon34:
Documentation is best written by personal testing. You always find things that the specs don't indicate. I speak from personal experience documenting a Smart Valve Positioner for a Japanese company. We went through 20 revisions because I was going off the specs, rather than taking it apart and operating it myself.  
Along the same lines as the above....
So far, only Ralph and myself have confirmed the second-instance problem . If therefore, (as I suspect), it does not apply to any single-monitor systems, then I think we could safely let the subject drop. - I can't think of any situation or time where we might want two instances of a MA3 window running at the same time. - In addition, if Jim is not running multi-monitors, then he has no hope of tracking it down...... If indeed it needs tracking down.

Also, MA3 is working as intended on my other single-monitor PCs, (ie a second-instance window is prevented from starting if another window is already running). - So unless any single-monitor user can report otherwise, then it seems reasonable to accept that this is just another quirk that will only arise where a second monitor is present.

However, - surely the intended ReadMe/User Manual should cover multiple screen use? - MA3 is after all, specifically designed to run on at least two screens. - So perhaps a description something along the lines of the following should be included....
On multi-monitor systems, any attempt to start a second-instance window of MA3 will not fail, (as intended), but is likely to cause a locked second image, requiring MA3 to be closed down in order to clear the locked image. - Additionally, it is recommended that the size and shape of any MA3 'window' must be contained within the screen area of the Primary monitor only, if normal running is to be achieved. - If any part of the window should encroach onto a second screen, then the FPS will drop dramatically. - Setting-up which monitor is to be the Primary monitor, is therefore also important.

But as stated by Morgan...
Documentation is best written by personal testing. You always find things that the specs don't indicate..... .....because I was going off the specs, rather than taking it apart and operating it myself.
.... Otherwise, it becomes a case of, 'The-blind-leading-the-blind'. - (Or even worse, the product of a committee!)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote