Thread: Lockup PC
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2002, 11:44 AM   #18
flipper
Registered

thought i'd take a stab at clearing up the issue of resources. i really don't know what spycatcher is trying to get at exactly; i'm just trying to clear up the confusion that seems to be apparent about what resources are and what they're for.

all ms windows os's use system resources. system resources are simply data structures that the system creates/manages on behalf of apps as a way to get the system to do some work on a system object. ex: when an app opens a file the system will create a file resource and then hand the app a file handle, which is nothing more than a unique identifier for that particular resource. the app then uses the file handle to reference the file resource when it requests the system to do something with the file (read, write, close, ...) same thing applies to window drawing, bitmap usage, ...

9x os's use a 64KB block of dedicated os memory for global system resource use. that's why you start to run into probs when your "resources" got too low. nt kernel-based os's use a completely diff mechanism for allocating/managing system resources, thus it's not an issue. you can still view the system resources used per app on nt kernel-based os's by going to the processes tab of task manager, select view->select columns from the menu, check the USER Objects and GDI Objects boxes, and then select OK. you should then see 2 new columns with values for each currently running process.

another reason for resource usage problems with 9x os's is that the os did not clean up after badly written apps that did not properly release the system resources that were allocated on their behalf by the system. again, nt kernel-based os's do.

resource is also used in a generic sense meaning anything system managed. so lots of people mean memory, file space, network communications, etc., when they use the term resource.
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote