View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #1890
Time Crystal Pilot
Registered

Kickstarter campaign: The sooner the better.

Supervised coders: In my opinion, the way visual effects are achieved technically had always been an integral part of Jim's artwork. He is using techniques that he developed independently, over decades of refinement. I don't think they'd be easy to teach to programmers who learned the standard techniques from college courses or from the literature.

But from a more general perspective, what Morgan is saying is: Jim, you have to take more risks! Do something different. Try it. And that's something I fully agree with.

In a different thread, Jim wondered why nobody seemed to take notice of the music he composed for Defender of the Crown II. If that is so, it is because DotC II was perceived mostly as an update to a game that had impressed the world seven years earlier. Novelty in computer-based art wears off very quickly. People fondly remember what impressed them years ago, but they aren't very often impressed by updates, however significant they may be.
It may be hard to believe, but these days, when I show MA3 to people who were impressed when they saw the Serenescreen Marine Aquarium over a decade ago, they do not even notice that it's all-new, high-definition. They'd notice if it wasn't.

Christof
Time Crystal Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote