View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #103
Terry Kennedy
Registered

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Do you really think that Jim has nothing better to do than follow up every self-inflicted fault that users create on their own systems? ...  
Nice attempt at being snarky. Dale can tell you I'm a lot better than you at it, but at least I'm trying to be a) polite and b) helpful here.

When I find a problem, I research it myself, (it is after all MY problem). Then when I find what has caused it, I report the results, and if the underlying reason was with MA, then Jim can take any action he considers necessary or possible. - If on the other hand the remedy is by making corrections to MY system, the need to report is solely so others can be aware of the effect such a situation can cause.
I had multiple systems that exhibit the problem. I performed every diagnostic test suggested here, no matter how unlikely it was to fix the problem or create new problems (install DirectX 8 components on Windows 7? Why not?). None of that helped.

After some additional exploring on my own, I found that running a component (media center) that is not even included in some versions of Windows 7 seems to correct the problem. Of course, that won't help the customers who have Windows versions that don't include it.

I have repeatedly expressed my willingness to try other troubleshooting steps, explained to Jim how he could run Windows 7 free for at least 30 days so he could track it down, and made several suggestions about a debug option in MA3 which would log "what goes out and what goes in" so that Jim could gather whatever data he wants on systems that have the problem.
Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote