Thread: Developer Notes
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Dale:
OK. But where's the appropriate place to put comments on the "posting and naming strategy"?  
This thread is the perfect place for discussion of the naming and version tracking.

The Announcements thread is one that I expect possibly hundreds of people to subscribe to so they receive an e-mail whenever there is a new development or new version of the Aquarium. If we opened that thread to general discussion, no matter how on-topic that discussion it might be, then I've lied to the customers because they'll get a lot of what (to them) would appear to be nuisance e-mails instead of notification of a new download (which is what they signed up for!).

This is why the Announcement thread only allows posts from Jim and myself.

I think it's rather important that anybody (developers, testers, users) be able to determine what they are using. The "expired" message seems to be the same, regardless of version.  
I agree that the Beta Expired message could be improved, but it is certainly not impossible to determine which version of the Beta you have. Set your clock back to before the Aquarium expired, run the Aqurium, and right at the top on the 1st line in yellow letters it says Beta 2. Also there was a discussion in another thread about the fact that the filename for Beta 1 is MarineAquarium3.scr and the filename for Beta 2 is MA3Beta.scr.

As I recall, there was a similar discussion about MA 2.6.  
The exact build number in Marine Aquarium 2.6 can be determined by opening the About box and clicking on the version number. I just ran my version of 2.6 and when I clicked the version number, elsewhere in the box (to the right of Prolific Publishing, Inc.), the build number PB30.2.6.37 appears.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote