View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 08:20 AM   #54
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Currently, the parts of the fish are handled separately.
Originally posted by Sergiales
And it looks great, isn't it?. If i remember well, the definition problem in MA is with the background, not with the fishes. The fishes look quite perfect, even with separated parts.
Right now the fins 'scissor' through the body. It is not the most realistic animation. On some of the fish it is more obvious and it is more obvious on large screens. Yes, Jim is a perfectionist!

Let's see if i'm understanding you properly. Are you talking about having just one mesh for the body? that is, including the fins and the tail in the same object?.

Newer games are still using models formed by multiple objects. It is a bad idea to have a complex figure formed by only one mesh object for realtime animation purposes. But it's up to you.
Yes, many game developers are fumbling around in the dark trying to do this. But the most realistic games have 1 mesh for the body and do skeltal or keyframe animation.

So, it's a real mistery what are the selection sets for.
Because Jim does not trust a hunk of code written by someone else to handle IK. So I am fairly certain he plans to write something similar from scratch.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote