View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #241
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I guess I never thought of that as being the problem that would crop up. After all the years of the fish not being close to the bottom, I figured that would be your problem more than something like this.

Eels don't swim per se, like a fish. Of course the size of an aquarium causes some of this problem, but when Harvey moved it was more like a snake in some ways. He pushed himself off of the bottom to get forward movement going and then sort of "undulated" to keep that movement going. But it was of course always for short distances, and then he sank back to the bottom. When he came up to take food from me part of him was always in contact with the bottom except for short bursts, then when he got larger and longer he usually just raised himself up to stick his head near the surface to grab food.

As he comes out of the cave slightly, I figured the problem was going to be the overall movement if he isn't on the bottom. Just what is he supposed to be "hanging on to"?

Maybe a short trip to your local aquarium store to watch one would help.............
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote