View Single Post
Old 11-29-2001, 06:35 PM   #48
Jim Sachs
Developer

Your use of the Aquarium is EXACTLY the model I was going for. I was hoping that everyone would put it on floppies and give it to all their friends. That's why I designed it to work as a 3-fish demo without a Key Code. Computer stores, petshops, and other businesses can give away floppies as "perks" to their customers, but wouldn't take the time and expense of cutting CDs.

A month ago I bought a Sony Vaio slimtop, the first computer I've ever had with no floppy drive. I hate it. After a week of my daughter typing in school reports and cutting CDs to move them to one of the other computers which has a printer, the CD-ROM drive went out. DVD's still played, but it wouldn't recognize CDs, CD-Rs, or CD-RWs. So I disconnected a printer and moved it into that room, hoping to print directly from the Vaio. Couldn't install it, because the printer drivers are on CD. So I tried hooking up a network cable to download the text file to another Computer. "Please insert your WinME CD." I ended up having to type the whole report manually into another computer while reading it off the screen of the Vaio.

That was 3 weeks ago, and since then I spend most of my time on the phone listening to the busy signal at Sony "Support". I have never once been able to get through.

The point being that even though the $400 DVD/CD/CD-R/CDRW drive is broken, the computer would still be perfectly usable if it only had a $9 floppy drive (and the 3D background would be much farther along).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 11-29-2001 at 06:38 PM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote