View Single Post
Old 03-19-2001, 04:33 PM   #28
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Artifact + Banding

from Jim Sachs
there is no banding at all on any of my machines. Both the Powder Blue Tang and the Purple Tang actually look smoother than Morgan's Photoshop mock-up. Therefore, this is a driver problem and not a compression problem. Of course, I will still try to find a work-around to eliminate it on those machines which show it, but it's difficult because I can't reproduce the problem here.
Wow, so probably all my fish and background are not nearly as clear and smooth-looking as they could be! And, this means there is a widely reproducable bug that I'd say 50% of us are seeing, based on comments I've received by e-mail and here on the board.

The #1 video card manufacturer out thre now is nVidia and indeed any TnT Riva or GeForce uses their chipset and their drivers. I know I have seen this 'banding' on all 6 versions of the nVidia software I have used (5.72, 6.31, 6.47, 6.50, 7.52beta, and 6.42WHQL).

I have a TnT Riva 1 (Diamond Viper 550) running nVidia Detonator 3 6.47 drivers (not the latest, 6.50 are the latest and majorly buggy on many systems [including mine]). Running Diamond drivers is out of the question due to the extreme instability they introduce to my computer. I am running Windows 2000 SP1 with 96MB of RAM.

Jim, do you have a TnT Riva 1, 2, or GeForce 1 or 2? If so, what drivers are you running? What driver settings?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote