View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 07:25 PM   #28
BlueWinterWaves
Registered

Thanks. I understand that not everyone will agree with me as far as my betta is concerned, but I think if you understand where I'm coming from -- namely that in my view, a betta is about the ONLY fish that can be put into a small tank like that -- then you might see that I do keep my animals according to humane practices.

Goldfish should NOT be kept in bowls, under any circumstances. Yet in many cases, this is many people's first entry into fishkeeping.

20 Guppies should NOT be packed into a 10-gallon tank, as you see in many beginner tanks.

Arowanas should NOT be kept in anything less than a 250 gallon tank, and even that is a pretty small space for them. Yet you see them typically being kept in much, much smaller tanks.

Monos should NOT be kept in pure freshwater, and even brackish water is not preferred. Pure seawater is the most beneficial for them. Yet you see monos being sold as freshwater fish.

Lake Malawi and Tanganyikan cichlids need hard, very alkaline water with a pH of 7.7-8.6. South American cichlids typically need soft, acidic water. Yet I find that most fishkeepers (and many fish stores for that matter) are not even remotely aware of the differences.

And so on.....
BlueWinterWaves is offline   Reply With Quote