View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #44
Jim Sachs
Developer

Update - I tried removing the video card, and just using the on-board graphics. Still failed, after greatly varying amounts of time (anywhere from 1 second to 3 hours). Doesn't seem to be heat-related. All fans working fine, with the cpu fan mostly in its quietest mode (normal speed-up when taxed).
At that point, there were too many variables (CPU, memory chips, motherboard, etc.), so I decided to try to resurrect another computer, and put this hard drive in it. Despite the fact that they are both HP Pavilions and very similar, the hard drive just won't fully wake up in its new body. Gets as far as the first XP screen, then reboots. So I put the native hard drive back in, with my drive as a secondary. Everythings there, but of course nothing's "installed", so it's a whole different environment. Took me a long time to remember even how to log onto this Forum, and now everything is blue. Not sure if some things can be put back in place, as they were originally installed years ago in another house (and another state), and I don't have any of the original CDs.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote