Thread: Feature Request Marine Aquarium Settings Panel - HELP
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Dale
Banned

Marine Aquarium Settings Panel - HELP

After the simulation is "feature complete" (i.e., no further changes are anticipated in top-level program behavior, etc.), I believe that the Settings Panel should be significantly improved.

A. HELP should be available for (at least) Program Settings, Fish Settings, and About. This should be based on the principle that what is obvious to us, and obvious to "experienced" users, may not be at all obvious to the first-time, casual user of MA3. In addition, for Display Settings and Music Playlist, either the text on the panel should be expanded to constitute "HELP", or a HELP should be provided.

B. Program Settings: On the panel, describe clearly what "mode(s)" the setting affects. For example, "Display Window Titlebar" only affects certain modes, as does "Exit on Mouse Move". [HELP can explain in more detail, including instances where there is interaction with "hot keys", etc.]

C. Fish Settings Really complex, and needs an extensive (and perhaps context-sensitive) HELP. And maybe an online tutorial. [Footnote: a link to the "Names of the Corals" would be really cool, too]

D. Music Playlist Just a bit more text -- unless this capability is expanded like the Fish Settings, to allow multiple playlists. In that case, more help will be needed.

E. Website Just fine - unless you want to have a separate button for the "Fan Website and Forum".

F. About First, clarify to the extent possible. For example, which keys are "sticky" (Fn?), which are toggles and which aren't, what modes are affected, etc. etc. Then do HELP for things that can't be explained in 3 or 4 words (e.g., Ctrl-C, etc.). Also, assuming it will eventually be helpful to the users, displaying the "location of custom files for the current user" would be good, perhaps with "click here to open that folder".

G. Logo Playlist (or whatever it will be called). I'm guessing that panel will need HELP.

No good program goes unpunished by paperwork. http://static03.instructables.com/file/FYJ7IBEFJ6MMMBJ/

Added editorial note: I selected "Feature Request" for the tag, but it seems to show up as "Feature".
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote