View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #135
Terry Kennedy
Registered

Interesting test results

I found a solution to the sound problem on one of my PCs. I had never set up Windows Media Center on the PC - no need as I use other players, and all other audio / video I have plays just fine. Just for grins, I went through the WMC setup and started MA3, and I have bubbles and music.

On the second PC that didn't have sound, this didn't change things. However, when setting up the speakers in WMC, if I select "2 channel" (which is what is connected), I get a very low audio level from WMC's test (despite the sound being normal in other applications). If I select "5.1 channel" in WMC, I get good audio level for all 5.1 channels (though of course they only play from the 2 main speakers and the subwoofer).

If I enable the on-board audio in the BIOS on that system and restart Windows (with the speakers plugged in there), the MA3 sounds are fine. WMC still has audio level problems in 2-channel mode, even with the on-board audio.

The only difference between the 2 systems is the sound card (2 versions of the same card - the working one is a PCI ASUS Xonar D2/PM with 5.1 digital output into a home theater, and the non-working one is a PCI Express ASUS Xonar DX with analog 2-channel output). If I had to bet on one not working, it would be the wrong one - the one that does work has the more unusual sound setup.

It is still odd that MA3 can play .wav and .mp3 files, but not bubbles or the .sgt file, on the second system and could do the same on the first one even before configuring WMC.

Can other people who have the "no sound" problem try configuring Windows Media Center and see if that changes things?
Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote