View Single Post
Old 05-10-2002, 03:36 PM   #110
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

IMHO, the clown knife is way uglier than any piranha I've ever seen
hpman77,

Sometimes you have to look beyond the outer appearances of a fish and look more towards how it lives and interacts with it's environment. While a tank full of beautiful fish is a site to behold, if all they do is school and swim back and forth, then it gets old after a while.

However, there are fish which have unique attributes (electric cat, Lungfish , Clown Knife, etc.) that can just as easily offer as much (or more) interest for the observer than a bunch of beautiful fish can. Don't get me wrong, I too like to admire nice looking fish just like the rest of you. But, I've owned some of these "other" species (ones so ugly they could stop a frieght train in it's tracks) and I almost always found myself watching them on a regular basis because I wanted to see what they would do next.

For example, my Lungfish had to go to the surface from time to time to open his mouth and breath in air just like you and I would if we were swimming and had to go up for air. He also did weird head stands in the tank, slept in strange positions, would stare at me for long periods of time, liked to swim across the surface of the water so I could run my hand along his body (weird I know), and ate from my hand (very dangerous if you know anything about Lungfish).

Anyway, you get my point, there's more to a fish than it's looks alone. Although I'm sure Jim will still want his aquarium to contain only visually appealing fish and I can certainly respect that. Besides, with the different species he already has in there and the AI changes he'll eventually make to them, his fish will no doubt only get better in the long run.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...

Last edited by Digital Lungfish; 05-10-2002 at 03:42 PM.
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote