View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
johnblommers
The Architect

So I removed the Apple Studio Display ...

OK, I simply removed the 17-inch 1280x1024 Apple studio display from the add-on ATI card.

I took the remaining 15-inch LCD CintiQ and switched it to the DVI interface and plugged it into the DVI port that the Apple Studio Display formerly occupied. Now the single 15-inch 1024x768 at millions of colors monitor has all of the 32 meg of VRAM available. I rebooted just to be sure. The ATI Displays program agrees.

So the main Apple Studio Display at 1600x1024 is still on the main 64-Meg VRAM ATI 9600 Pro. Using only this main display I can get 100+ fps.

Switching to all-screens mode, things got a little bit better. I now get a hair over 13 fps on BOTH monitors. The frame rates are virtually identical. Obviously I am expecting the big screen to remain at 100+ fps as the ATI 7000 card is not as strong.

BTW I am running Mac OS X 10.3.5 so all my drivers are current.

I guess my question is why is there this coupling between the two screens. I have two CPUs so the second screen saver could have a whole CPU to itself, as it has a whole video card to itself.

BTW there may be more under the hood here, as my Apple Studio Display decided to quit working on me just after using the screen saver! It may well be the video card going bad. It's not the first ATI card to go South on me.

Anyhow, please share your thoughts with me.

This is fun troubleshooting, and I am enjoying the beta sofware, looking forward to upcoming improvements.

Good luck!
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote