Thread: Freshwater Beta
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 05:51 PM   #25
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

Ahh yes, if you do find what kind of fishes beta's can mix with, you could lock it so you can only choose the beta either by itself, or with those compatible fish. I know they get along with pearl gourami's and bigger goldfish. Loaches also didn't mind them much. The thing is you can't have a powerful filter with a beta in the tank, they get sucked into the filter because they prefer still water. What I had was two filters meant for 5 gallon tanks in a 20 gallon one and a bottom gravel filter. I had 1 big redcap goldfish, 2 smaller black moors, and 3 pearl gourami's. I had 2 male beta's in the tank and one female. They did puff up when they came in contact with each other, but they never attacked or hurt each other. If anything, they were just scared of the big goldfish, and not the little ones or the gourami's.

You could have a big redcap goldfish in the tank similar to the size of the lionfish. And even act like the lionfish, most big goldish are big because they get fed too much, and are always opening and closing their mouths looking for food. That in a tank with some smaller goldfish too would give it a very realistic effect. If you were planning to have goldfish at all. The pearl Gourami's have always been the calmest creatures of all the fish that I've ever had. The blue gourami's have always been aggressive, and the dwarf and giant gourami's are even more aggressive.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote