View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #16
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I wonder if there's any way to redirect the link to SereneScreen?  
For what it's worth, I think it's a mistake to directly link to the .zip file itself. If I were in your shoes, I'd simply build two simple "template" pages. One that contains a link to the .zip file and one that simply says that there are no beta-betas currently in use and referring to the download from Serene Screen with an appropriate link. Give both template files the same name (e.g. currentbeta.html) and store them locally in two separate directories (e.g. "/activebeta" and "/inactivebeta").

Once that is done, when it comes time to put a new beta-beta up for download, you simply upload the new zip file and "/activebeta" version to your web site, then make an announcement with a link to http://www.fish-byte.com/currentbeta.html instead of the .zip file. When the beta has expired and you want to refer people to the Serene Screen version, simply upload the ".inactivebeta" version of currentbeta.html to the web site.

Makes it pretty simple from your perspective. When you want to publish a new beta, you simply upload two files instead of the one file you currently upload. When the current beta expires and it will be a while before the next is available, simply upload one file. That way you avoid broken link questions/problems.
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote