View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #18
klaatu
Registered

Originally posted by jleslie:
"Two thousand AND five" never "Two thousand five".  
I think it ought to be twenty-oh-five. Long before this 2nd millennium actually came to be I had a feeling no one would ever say it in the same manner as 1901 to 1909 were spoken (in english, anyway).

Still made plenty of sense, to me, to say 20-oh-1, 20-oh-2, etc. Maybe even 20-hundred (for 2000), but saying it as "two thousand" was obviously determined years ahead of its time.

I wonder if the movie (or book) 2001: A Space Odyssey is why?

In any case, you could just about see that the something-hundred way of saying it was not going to be like the previous centuries.

How was/is 1005 A.D. spoken? Probably like it is now for 2005. It seems to be the lack of a 'hundred' number, so people immediately forego that and see only the 'thousand' number. I was a bit disappointed when people ignored the past 900 years, at least, and couldn't say 20-oh-1 like their grandparents had done for 1901.

Somehow I still keep thinking it'll revert back to that before twenty ten, mainly because we'll all definitely be saying twenty ten and not two thousand ten-- er... well... who knows?!

Sorry for this long-winded nonsense but ya'll started it! LOL
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote