Thread: Developer Notes
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #299
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Edgar:
When people install software, they have the choice where to install. It is not always Program Files.
The folder per user is later because of the exactly that problem of having to install per user. Until we figure out a simple method to have their own folder without reinstalling per user, the current method will be in place.  
OK. If I may suggest:

Default for "per system" stuff == folder in wherever the "Program Files" is defined for that system (usually but not always C:\Program Files\whatever-you-pick.

REQUIRED per user (created the first time MA3 is run by that user) == folder in wherever "My Documents" is defined for that user. (often BUT OFTEN NOT C:\Documents and Settings\User Account Name\My Documents

Note that this would be a REQUIRED folder location.

Folder for "changeable system defaults" == C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\My Documents (actually, should probably be wherever "My Documents" is defined for the default user)

For Vista, substitute "Users" for "Documents and Settings" above. But the important point is that there are easy (symbolic) ways to determine where "Program Files" and individual "My Documents" folders are located.

In general, Windows will take care of changes, if you properly use logical symbols (called by various things: junction points, symbolic links (in Vista), etc.). With Vista, things like "My Documents" can be located on network drives. And users can move them, so you don't want to be tied to specific coding.

I'm sure you know all of that, so pardon my suggestion. I tried to be brief (therefore incomplete), and there are lots of other viable alternatives.

HTH
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote