View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #65
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ralph - I agree. It would have to be something new, with a very different look to attract any attention. Anything fish-related would be ignored as old-hat.

Bob - Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I'll be doing that. However, as I mentioned somewhere else, the Mindspark advertising connection has improved sales enough so that I might be adding a couple of freebee critters.

My official position on this background-addition subject is that I don't see how it could ever be good enough to fool anyone into believng that it's real. As a scientist, I try to keep an open mind, but just the fact that the underside of the surface would show is enough to (almost) certainly doom it to failure. I have never seen an algorithm which could realistically duplicate all the reflections/refraction/perturbations to achieve this - not in a software product or a $100-million movie. I solved the problem 12 years ago by positioning the camera so that the problem area was not visible, and don't see any good reason to re-open the can of worms.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote